Monday, January 01, 2007

Go go gogogogo GO!

This weekend Chris, Garrett, and I headed to Charlotte for the Navy bowl game. Of course, we had only been back in the States a mere day before heading out, but whatever.

Friday we were refingerprinted for the adoption. Our fingerprints are only good for 15 months, and we had been fingerprinted last September. Earlier our adoption agency had said that this wouldn't be a problem, as we would have her home before we expired, but time just didn't work with us. Garrett was a very good boy waiting for Mommy and Daddy to be done, especially considering how tired we were. We met another family that had just adopted a little boy from Guatemala and was in the process of adopting him a little sister. Garrett thought that he was fun to play with.

Friday afternoon we attended the street fair and pep rally to get the fans excited about the game. Garrett sat on Chris's shoulders, taking it all in. The noise, the lights, the smells, the people. It was a lot for a little guy. We had dinner with Mark and Jodi (Chris's cousin and her husband, who live just outside of Charlotte), and then we collapsed around 10. We have officially decided that we are getting old and cannot keep up without sleep.

Saturday was spent celebrating and watching the bowl game. Mark and Jody came over to the hotel early to "tailgate" as it were in our room. Garrett claimed the football beads that Mommy had bought to wear to the game. Now he had his own pretties to play with. To top it off, he found his first bug, a lady bug, on his foot. We checked it all out, and then she met an untimely end, crushed in his little fist.

Garrett thought that the game was great fun. We watched the march on of the Mids, but somehow missed the fly-by of an F-18. I bought a Cat-in-the-Hat style Navy hat to wear during the game, but Garrett claimed that as well. Chris thought it was good to help hide his Boston Red Sox baseball cap, in case their might be some confusion as which team our son would root for. Of course, we heard the normal "Gogogogogogogo!" at various points throughout the game, and not always when Navy had done something good on the field. Mostly, Garrett sat on Daddy's lap and just took everything in.

Chris met another grad who knew Steve Amiaga, who was the captain of Chris's sailboat the weekend we met, and who sang at our wedding. We hung out with Dave and his wife, Sandy, for the 3rd quarter, and they joined us after the game for dinner. Unfortunately, Navy lost the game in the last 3 seconds to a BC field goal. Overall it was a great game that Navy played very well. We had a grand time and cannot wait to take Garrett to Army-Navy sometime soon with his sister!


Anonymous said...

sounds like fun! Looks like there is supposed to be pics in text but they are missing. Hope you guys are catching up on sleep, we are trying to get back on schedule after the huge time change still. My kid keeps thinking 4am is "wakie" time!
Nathan's first b day is on the 20th and I guess nI should start planning the party huh? We got your gifts and cards...thank you so much! I am using the cloth on my table right now!

Anonymous said...

What a bummer on the game... "One must never under-estimate Navy's ability to blow a lead." Who'd've figured that we'd meet again through one of my best friends' USNA roommate. Dave and Sandy are a great couple. Let's re-connect.