Saturday, December 22, 2007

What a difference a year can make

One year ago today, Chris, Garrett and I arrived in Guatemala to meet Elena for the first time. What a wonderful Christmas gift that was. To walk into the lobby of the Marriott and see this beautiful face looking back at us. I'm tearing up even now thinking of it.



Look what a peanut she was -- a mere 14 pounds, the same weight Garrett was the previous Christmas at 4 months! Now my big girl is 27.5 pounds and 34 in. tall! But she'll always be my peanut.


It was such a different way to experience the holiday for us -- no blood family, no large meal, fireworks lighting up the night sky at midnight. Elena was so quiet and observant, nothing like the instigator and giggle-puss that I have living in my house this Christmas. Garrett and Elena were just learning to feel each other out, whereas now they love and torment each other in alternating cycles. They are the best of friends and I honestly can say that each would not know what to do without the other. Both Chris and I struggle to remember what life was like before both these angels graced our family.

However, despite being in a strange land we met some wonderful people, wonderful new friends. We formed a new extended family of sorts in the baby room. Visiting in the afternoons or in the middle of night when one of our children refused to sleep created bonds between our families that Chris and I hope will last a long, long time. So to the Rice family, Kurn family, Meverden family, Dillons and others we met last year -- thank you for helping us have such a wonderful Christmas and thank you for sharing your life with us. We miss you this holiday season and pray that we can celebrate together again some day in the not-to-distant future.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

9 comments:

Tina said...

Thank You Beckie! You made me cry. We feel the same way about you and Chris and the other friends we made. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness look how tiny and PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!

JuJu - said...

aaaaawwww!!!!!!
My sweet baby girl:):)

Love to each of you:)

JuJu

Anonymous said...

wooooooowwww. things sure have changed. I almost forgot what Elena USED to look like. So Different. It makes me wonder what Garrett, and Elena and Nathan will be like...one year, 5 years...etc from now. The curiosity just kills me.
Okay---merry CHristmas you cuties, we'll see you in the new year!!!!!
Meghan

Our Family of 5 said...

Miss Elena is beautiful! Merry Christmas to you all!!

Nan and Dan said...

Merry Christmas to you all!!

Kim & Dave said...

Not quite the same as our celebration last year, is it?

There are MANY good things about being home for Christmas, but it doesn't cange the fact that I miss being in Guatemala for Christmas.

It just isn't quite the same w/ out our Guatemala crew, IYKWIM!!

Merry Christmas to all of you!

Barb said...

Hmmmm...thought I commented...must have gotten busy chasing a child.

Happy One-year! She is a beautiful lil peanut! :)

Merry Christmas. Wishing you all much joy and happiness in 2008!

Mindy said...

How touching that was...that was so sweet and beautiful and yes, she was such a peanut then! A BEAUTIFUL peanut...I hope you have a joyous and wonderful Christmas!
Many Hugs