Friday, April 07, 2006

Sleepy Baby

Well, remember that baby I told everyone about after Christmas? The one who we could just place in his crib and would fall asleep without fuss? The one who slept almost all night long, with the exception of a short wake-up for a bottle? Yeah, well that baby was not around last night.

The pobrecito (poor little one) cried for a full half hour before falling asleep at 8:30. He then stayed asleep until 9:30, but fell asleep after a little cuddling. He woke up at 12:30 and stayed awake for 2 HOURS! I finally got him to go to sleep with some warm milk in his belly and Spanish television on. Then he woke up for the day at 5:30 this morning. He did take a 20 minute nap at 8, just as Becky and I were ready to go to breakfast. Finally he took a long nap at 11 and stayed asleep until 12:30! Needless to say I slept in the bed right next to him for most of that nap. Becky's comment was that this was "the longest 24 hours of my life" and "This is not what I was expecting." However, she has been a complete Godsend, helping me entertain Dany, make bottles, but I just can't get her to change any diapers. :)

Gordo (fat), as Olga, his foster mom, called him, is just missing everything that he knows. He has different faces, different sights, different sounds (he does settle down when we speak Spanish to him or have Spanish television on -- he particularly loves Buenas Noches, Luna), and different smells. I am using the clothes that Olga brought him in yesterday as his snuggle blanket for now, just to give him some sense of familiarity. I can't imagine how hard this must be for him. Thankfully, he finally seems to be taking to Becky and I and realizing that we are going to take care of him.

Well, as I type this Dany is rubbing his eyes and twirling the hair by his right ear. A sure sign that he is sleepy. Time for a bottle and maybe, hopefully, a nap.

No comments: